Seven Pilgrim Churches of Rome Tour
Full-day limo tour
The Seven Pilgrim Churches of Rome Tour is inspired by an ancient pilgrimage in Rome. Pilgrimages to Rome have been of great importance in the Middle Ages and there were many pilgrims who came to Rome to obtain the plenary indulgence of sins, as described by the poet Petrarch writing on the Jubilee Year 1350. Saint Philip Neri resumed this tradition in 1522 by organizing a pilgrimage to some of the most important churches and basilicas of Rome. At first, Saint Philip Neri was accompanied only by a few followers, but then after a few years the seven churches walk had become a succcessful pilgrimage and the number of participants increased greatly.
It was indeeed a long pilgrimage, more than 20 kilometers by feet, but using Tiber limo service in Rome you can visit all the seven basilicas easily in a full day tour. Our driver will pick you up at 8:30 am at your accommodation in a luxury air conditioned Mercedes-Benz sedan or minivan, complimentary fresh bottled water and free wi-fi connection to the Internet. Tour duration is about 8 and a half hours, so drop off at your hotel or apartment will be at around 5:00 pm.
After pick up at your accommodation in Rome, hotel or apartment, Tiber Limousine Service driver will take you to the area of Ancient
Appian Way to the first one of the seven pilgrim basilicas we’ll be visiting during this tour: the Basilica of Saint Sebastian outside the Walls, built over the Catacombs od St Sebastian. Here you will find the tomb of the saint, an arrow that struck Sebastian during his martyrdom and the original slab with the footprint of Christ. A legend says that Peter, while he was fleeing from Rome to escape crucifixion, met Jesus Christ and asked him “Quo Vadis”, that is “Where are you going?”. Jesus answered he was going to Rome to be crucified for the second time. From these words Peter understood what was its destiny and returned to Rome where he was crucified.
It’s now time to head towards the second church of pilgrimage and after being back in the car our driver will guide you to the Basilica of St. Paul Outside the Walls.
driving on the same road traveled by pilgrims at the time of St. Philip Neri, Via delle Sette Chiese, that is “Seven Churches street”.
St. Paul Outside the Walls is a basilica located in the place where the saint, beheaded in 65 A.D., was venerated by early Christians and the original one was built by the Emperor Constantine. Inside the basilica you’ll find the tomb of St Paul and the chain that kept him tied during the period he was imprisoned in Rome.
In less than ten minutes driving you’ll reach then the Basilica of St. John Lateran, overlooking the square of Porta S. Giovanni. It was built under the Emperor Constantine and inaugurated in 318 AD. For many centuries, until 1309, this basilica was the residence of the Popes and it is now the Cathedral of Rome. Every Pope, after the election, first comes here to take possession of St. John Lateran, the mother and head of all churches in Rome and in the world. Helena, the mother of Constantine, went to the Holy Land and found many relics, among which the Scala Sancta (Holy Stairs), the steps leading to the palace of Pontus Pilate in Jerusalem. According to the tradition Jesus Christ walked up these stairs before being condemned to death. The Scala Santa is now in a building next to the Basilica and every day hundreds of pilgrims climb the stairs on their knees to get the plenary indulgence of sins.
Get in the car again and Tiber Limo driver will take you to the Basilica of the Holy Cross in Jerusalem, less than a kilometer from the last stop. The Emperor Constantine and his mother Helena readapted the imperial palace, called Palazzo Sessoriano, first to a chapel and then to a basilica in 325 AD. In the Chapel of Relics you will find the relics of the Passion of Jesus Christ found by Helena during her pilgrimage to Jerusalem.
First of all some wooden pieces of the Holy Cross, the iscription on top of the cross (called Titulus Crucis), one of the nails used to crucify Jesus, two thorns of the Crown of Jesus. fragments of the Good Thief’s cross and the index finger bone of Saint Thomas.
Details and prices
- Guaranteed private service
- No hidden charges: the price you read is what you pay
- Private luxury Mercedes-Benz car or minivan, air conditioned, fully insured for vehicle and passengers (4 million euros), in top condition, no-smoking, complimentary fresh mineral bottled water
- Complimentary Wi-Fi access to the Internet inside the Mercedes-Benz vehicle
- 24/7 emergency telephone number
- Private licensed driver fluent in English, with perfect knowledge of the history, monuments and other attractions that will be visited during the tour, giving commentaries and answering question from inside the vehicle. Upon request we provide tours with a licensed tour guide always with you in the vehicle and inside the monuments for all duration of the tour or we can book a licensed guide just for the visit of the Vatican Museums and/or Coliseum
- All taxes, tolls, parking fees, fuel, child seats and wheelchairs if requested
Prices don’t include:
- Entrance fees (where needed)
- Tips/Gratuities (this is optional in Italy, not mandatory; our drivers don’t expect you to give them a tip)
We don’t charge for children under two years old (at most 2 children don’t pay).
All prices are in euros. Tiber Limousine Service accepts payments by PayPal, by credit card or in cash in euros to the driver at the end of the tour.
Seven Pilgrim Churches of Rome Tour
private full-day limo tour
Price 1 up to and including 3 people
Add €30 for each additional passenger, up to 7
Contact us to receive quote for more than 7 passengers
- Pickup: Rome airport, Rome hotel, address in Rome
Drop off: Rome hotel, address in Rome
- Tour duration: 8 hours approx. Pickup at 8:30am; drop off at 5:00pm (you can choose a different pick up time)
- Price includes: Private luxury Mercedes-Benz vehicle, professional English-speaking tour driver, taxes, fuel, passengers insurance (4 million euros), tolls, parking fees, complimentary fresh bottled water, complimentary wi-fi access to the internet
SIGHTS & ATTRACTIONS
- St. Peter's Basilica
- Basilica of Saint Paul outside the Walls
- Basilica of Saint Sebastian outside the Walls
- Basilica of St. John Lateran
- Basilica of the Holy Cross in Jerusalem
- Basilica of Saint Lawrence outside the Walls
- Basilica of Saint Mary Major
TOUR HIGHLIGHTS MAP
Top Rated On TripAdvisor
OUR LIMO SERVICES
- ROME TOURS
- DAY TOURS FROM ROME
- Pompeii and Amalfi Coast
- Pompeii, Mount Vesuvius and Sorrento
- Pompeii, Herculaneum and Sorrento
- Assisi and Orvieto
- Orvieto and Civita di Bagnoregio
- Florence and Siena
- Siena, Chianti wine region and Pienza
- Tivoli Villa d’Este and Hadrian’s Villa
- Villa Lante at Bagnaia and Viterbo, the city of popes
- Truffle and mozzarella
- DAY TOURS FROM FLORENCE
- SHORE EXCURSIONS
- Shore excursions from Civitavecchia port
- Shore excursions from Naples port
- Shore excursions from Livorno port
- Shore excursions from Venice port