Caravaggio Rome tour
Full-day private limo tour
Pickup for this Rome tour of Caravaggio’s masterpieces is at 8:30 am at your accommodation. Our driver will be there in a luxury air conditioned Mercedes, complimentary fresh bottled water and free wi-fi connection to the Internet. Tour duration is about 8 and a half hours, so drop off at your hotel or apartment will be at around 5:00 pm.
In order to better appreciate the art of Caravaggio in Rome, our driver will take you to visit first the churches where his paintings are on display because it is precisely for these churches that they had been commissioned: the churches of Sant’Agostino, St. Louis of the French and Santa Maria del Popolo. In this area, our driver will also take you to the places where Caravaggio lived and painted its masterpieces. You’ll visit one of the streets where he used to walk and you can even walk on the street where Caravaggio used to play the game of “pallacorda” and where he killed one of his friends, two streets that remained almost the same since the sixteenth century. If you want to learn more about this, you can read some articles from our blog: The paintings of Caravaggio in the church of St. Louis of the French and On the footsteps of Caravaggio: Rome tour.
In the church of Sant’Agostino, near Piazza Navona you can admire a painting by Caravaggio, the Madonna di Loreto also known as the Madonna of pilgrims, which aroused a lot of criticism because Caravaggio painted the pilgrims in front of the Madonna of Loreto in an absolutely untraditional manner and you can even see how the man’s bare feet are dirty, which was unacceptable according to the canons of painting of the period.
A few hundred meters from the last stop, just around the corner, is the church of San Luigi dei Francesi with three masterpieces: The Calling of St Matthew, The Inspiration of Saint Matthew and The Martyrdom of Saint Matthew. From the area of Piazza Navona to the church Santa Maria del Popolo, in Piazza del Popolo, where is the next stop of our tour, it takes a few minutes by car and you can rest a little, drinking some fresh water offered by our driver. In this church, in the Cerasi chaper, you’ll find two of the most famous Caravaggio’s canvases in Rome: the Crucifixion of St. Peter and the Conversion on the Way to Damascus.
The tour continues at Borghese Gallery where you can admire the David with the Head of Goliath painted some years after Caravaggio fled from Rome because of the murder of Ranuccio Tomassoni in 1606. The head of Goliath in this painting is a self-portrait of Caravaggio and you can also see the Young Sick Bacchus, a self-portrait of Caravaggio in his youth. In the Borghese Gallery there are also the Madonna of the Palafrenieri, Boy with a Basket of Fruit and Saint Jerome Writing.
After the visit to the Borghese Gallery, Tiber Limouusine Service driver will take you to a restaurant you know of, give you suggestions or you can eat quickly in a bar or pizzeria, for example, to save time for the tour.
After lunch our driver will take you to Doria Pamphilj Gallery, in Via del Corso not far from Venice Square, where two paintings by Caravaggio are housed: Penitent Magdalene and Rest on the Flight into Egypt.
Last stop in our Caravaggio Rome Tour, before drop off at your accommodation, is at Musei Capitolini on the Capitoline Hill, the hearth of Rome, to see another two masterpieces by Caravaggio: Fortune Teller and Saint John the Baptist.
After a wonderful day spent admiring the masterpieces of Caravaggio, relax calling to mind all the beauty that you have seen while our driver takes you back to your hotel.
Details and prices
- Guaranteed private service
- No hidden charges: the price you read is what you pay
- Private luxury Mercedes-Benz car or minivan, air conditioned, fully insured for vehicle and passengers (4 million euros), in top condition, no-smoking, complimentary fresh mineral bottled water
- Complimentary Wi-Fi access to the Internet inside the Mercedes-Benz vehicle
- 24/7 emergency telephone number
- Private licensed driver fluent in English, with perfect knowledge of the history, monuments and other attractions that will be visited during the tour, giving commentaries and answering question from inside the vehicle. Upon request we provide tours with a licensed tour guide always with you in the vehicle and inside the monuments for all duration of the tour or we can book a licensed guide just for the visit of the Vatican Museums and/or Coliseum
- All taxes, tolls, parking fees, fuel, child seats and wheelchairs if requested
Prices don’t include:
- Entrance fees (where needed)
- Tips/Gratuities (this is optional in Italy, not mandatory; our drivers don’t expect you to give them a tip)
We don’t charge for children under two years old (at most 2 children don’t pay).
All prices are in euros. Tiber Limousine Service accepts payments by PayPal, by credit card or in cash in euros to the driver at the end of the shore excursion.
Caravaggio Rome Tour
private full-day limo tour
Price 1 up to and including 3 people
Add €30 for each additional passenger, up to 7
Contact us to receive quote for more than 7 passengers
- Pickup: Rome airport, Rome hotel, address in Rome
Drop off: Rome hotel, address in Rome
- Tour duration: 8 hours approx. Pickup at 8:30am; drop off at 5:00pm (you can choose a different pick up time)
- Price includes: Private luxury Mercedes-Benz vehicle, professional English-speaking tour driver, taxes, fuel, passengers insurance (4 million euros), tolls, parking fees, complimentary fresh bottled water, complimentary wi-fi access to the internet
SIGHTS & ATTRACTIONS
- Sant'Agostino Church
- St. Louis of the French Church
- Borghese Gallery
- Doria Pamphilj Gallery
- Musei Capitolini
TOUR HIGHLIGHTS MAP
Top Rated On TripAdvisor
OUR LIMO SERVICES
- ROME TOURS
- DAY TOURS FROM ROME
- Pompeii and Amalfi Coast
- Pompeii, Mount Vesuvius and Sorrento
- Pompeii, Herculaneum and Sorrento
- Assisi and Orvieto
- Orvieto and Civita di Bagnoregio
- Florence and Siena
- Siena, Chianti wine region and Pienza
- Tivoli Villa d’Este and Hadrian’s Villa
- Villa Lante at Bagnaia and Viterbo, the city of popes
- Truffle and mozzarella
- DAY TOURS FROM FLORENCE
- SHORE EXCURSIONS
- Shore excursions from Civitavecchia port
- Shore excursions from Naples port
- Shore excursions from Livorno port
- Shore excursions from Venice port