Assisi And Orvieto Tour – Full Day From Rome
Private limo service
Umbria is called the “green hearth of Italy” and you can easily visit two of its beautiful towns, Assisi and Orvieto, booking a day tour from Rome with Tiber Limousine Service.
At 8:00am our English-speaking tour driver will pick you up at your hotel in Rome and drive along the river Tiber in a luxury air-conditioned Mercedes car or minivan until we reach Orvieto in about one and a half hour. The drive to Orvieto isn’t just a transfer because the Tiber valley offers beautiful landscapes. The highway crosses a wetland of international interest within the Tevere-Farfa natural reserve, the paradise of birding.
Before arriving in Orvieto, the town appears from a distance on top of a high Rupe in the valley that surrounds it, the result of a volcanic eruption.
Walking through the streets of Orvieto is a real pleasure and one of them is of particular significance because it takes its name from Lorenzo Maitani , the sculptor and architect who built the façade of Orvieto Cathedral, perhaps the greatest masterpiece of Italian Gothic architecture.
Maitani street leads to Piazza del Duomo, dominated by the imposing cathedral with the Papal Palace, seat of the National Archaeological Museum, and Faina Palace that houses the civic museum. The facade of the Orvieto Cathedral was completed in the sixteenth century and it is a triumph of sculptures, reliefs and mosaics.
The Pozzo di S. Patrizio, situated in the lowest part of the Rupe, is a well about 60 meters in depth and it was built on the orders of Pope Clement VII because of Orvieto’s lack of water in case of a siege. The well was designed by Antonio da Sangallo the Younger and the double spiral ramp that allows you to reach the bottom of the well and walk up to the surface again is a miracle of engineering.
After the visit to Orvieto our driver will take you to Assisi, on Mount Subasio, in the province of Perugia. St. Francis of Assisi was born here and there he founded the Franciscan religious order but don’t be scared by the fact that Assisi is the second most important pilgrimage site in Italy, because here you can also explore the medieval town.
You will enter Assisi through the main gate, named St. Francis’ gate, the most important of the eight gates of the medieval walls that surround the town along its perimeter. A short walk and you’ll reach the Basilica di San Francesco, one of the most famous sanctuaries of Christianity.
Whether you are religious or not this basilica, actually consisting of two churches superimposed over one another, will amaze you for the architecture and the many works of art, first of all the wonderful cycle of frescoes by Giotto dedicated to the life of San Francesco.
The top sight is by far St. Francis’s Basilica where you can see the Giotto’s frescoes and the paintings by Cimabue. The frescoes by Giotto mark the departure from Byzantine art and the beginning of Medieval art in Italy. We suggest visiting first the upper church, including Cimabue’s Crucifixion, and then the lower church where you’ll also see the Crypt of St. Francis and his relics.
After admiring the upper church and the lower church, it’s time to take a nice stroll through the medieval streets of Assisi, in particular we suggest Via S. Francesco, the road from the basilica up to the center of town, with picturesque medieval buildings up to the Palazzo del Capitano del Popolo and the Pinacoteca Comunale.
Leaving Assisi at about 5:00pm and back to Rome.
Details and prices
- Guaranteed private service
- No hidden charges: the price you read is what you pay
- Private luxury Mercedes-Benz car or minivan, air conditioned, fully insured for vehicle and passengers (4 million euros), in top condition, no-smoking, complimentary fresh mineral bottled water
- Complimentary Wi-Fi access to the Internet inside the Mercedes-Benz vehicle
- 24/7 emergency telephone number
- Private licensed driver fluent in English, with perfect knowledge of the history, monuments and other attractions that will be visited during the tour
- All taxes, tolls, parking fees, fuel, child seats and wheelchairs if requested
Prices don’t include:
- Entrance fees (where needed)
- Tips/Gratuities (this is optional in Italy, not mandatory; our drivers don’t expect you to give them a tip)
We don’t charge for children under two years old (at most 2 children don’t pay).
All prices are in euros. Tiber Limousine Service accepts payments by PayPal, by credit card or in cash in euros to the driver at the end of the shore excursion.
Assisi and Orvieto tour from Rome
private limo service
€470Price 1 up to and including 3 people
Add €30 for each additional passenger, up to 7
Contact us to receive quote for more than 7 passengers
- Pickup: Rome hotel, address in Rome
Drop off: Rome hotel, address in Rome
- Tour duration: Approx. 11 hours. Pickup at 8:00am; drop off at 7:00pm
- Price includes: Private luxury Mercedes-Benz vehicle, professional English-speaking tour driver, taxes, fuel, passengers insurance (4 million euros), tolls, parking fees, complimentary fresh bottled water, complimentary wi-fi access to the internet
SIGHTS & ATTRACTIONS
TOUR HIGHLIGHTS MAP
Top Rated On TripAdvisor
OUR LIMO SERVICES
- ROME TOURS
- DAY TOURS FROM ROME
- DAY TOURS FROM FLORENCE
- SHORE EXCURSIONS
- Shore excursions from Civitavecchia port
- Shore excursions from Naples port
- Shore excursions from Livorno port
- Shore excursions from Venice port